Chinese handset manufacturer Xiaomi has started rolling out the MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM to select devices starting with Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2. The Chinese company has already revealed that the MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM over-the-air (OTA) update will be restricted to only a few devices and will see a steady rollout.
This means that Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2 users can either wait for the official OTA update, or can manually download and install the OTA file if they wish to use it immediately. For other supported Xiaomi devices, the company has confirmed that the MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM will be available by end of this month. You can check here if your Xiaomi device is supported for the MIUI 9 update.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2 users should have started receiving the MIUI 9 via an OTA update over the weekend, and all they need to do is wait it out patiently for a notification. They can alternatively even check in their Updater app, to see if the update has arrived or not.
Here’s how to download and install MIUI 9 on your Xiaomi smartphone:
Before starting on with the flashing process, Xiaomi users should make sure their battery is above 60 percent and should take back-up of the apps and multimedia content to be on safe side. Xiaomi smartphone users will have to download Recovery or Fastboot package depending on the ROM version. If you are running the Developer ROM, then download the Recovery package with .zip extension or alternatively those running the stable ROM should download the Fastboot package with .tgz extension.
For those who have the Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2 can download and install the corresponding ROMs from Xiaomi’s website. Follow the below highlighted steps on how to download and install the MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM.
This list will be updated with new MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM links as Xiaomi makes them available.
1) Before fastbooting, users must have the bootloader unlocked. They can do it by switch off their devices and then press and hold volume down and power button simultaneously, it should power up the phone with fastboot screen.
2) Users can connect their phones with USB to PC, click Refresh button in flash tool app and it should show device ID. If not, install Mi PC Suite and drivers posted here. Extract the fastboot ROM downloaded, to a folder on PC.
3) Open MiFlash tool, and select Clean all in the right down corner
4) Click Select and browse to a folder where you extracted the Fastboot ROM and click Flash
5) It will start flashing the phone and will take around 3-5 Minutes depending on the PC and device. Users should note that they cannot remove their device while flashing.
6) Device will reboot with MIUI 9.
How was your experience installing MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM on your smartphone? Let us know via the comments.